Expand mobile version menu
  Skip to main content

French Language Teacher Education

Program Description

Just the Facts

French Language Teacher Education. A program that prepares individuals to teach French language programs at various educational levels.

This program is available in these options:

  • Certificate / Diploma
  • Associate degree
  • Bachelor's degree
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Master's degree
  • Doctoral degree

High School Courses

See the high school courses recommended for programs in this career cluster:

See the high school courses recommended for programs in this pathway:

Additional Information

If you've got a knack for linguistics and grammar, you may be a French immersion teacher in the making.

French immersion usually begins with students taking kindergarten, Grade 1 and Grade 2 in French. After this, more courses are taught in English, with some French still being used. French immersion may continue, in some cases, right through to high school.

According to the ERIC Clearinghouse on Languages and Linguistics, immersion language programs for elementary students are available in 31 states. However, some programs offer only Spanish or German as the immersion language. While there are many Spanish immersion schools, French schools are harder to come by.

In general, people who teach public French immersion programs have a degree in education and are proficient in French. According to Sari Kaye, foreign language specialist for Fairfax County, students hoping to become second language teachers in French generally take an undergraduate degree in the language and a master's degree in elementary education.

She adds that the University of Virginia is particularly renowned for its French program.

Since French immersion programs are more typically offered to elementary students, you don't want to be trained as a high school teacher. "That really doesn't tell you anything about teaching little kids," says Kaye.

Needless to say, French immersion teachers need to know the language -- and well.

"Students who are considering this field need to be linguistically inclined," says Jim Cummins, a second language education professor.

If your high school offers French classes, take them. Of course, there are other things you can do. "You can read a lot in the language, watch French TV or go on an exchange program," suggests Cummins.

Kaye adds that most bachelor's students go abroad to really expose themselves to the language. Aspiring French immersion teachers, she says, "have to do something during their four years of college to get to a proficiency level in French. So, they'd have to do intensive French study and spend some time in a French-speaking country."

Most French immersion teachers in the public school system now need a master's of education in order to find work. "There are some places you can go and come out with a four-year degree, but most states now are looking for a master's in education, which provides you with the student teaching experience," says Kaye.

Requirements for education programs vary. Some institutions require two years of university-level education before admission, while others require a bachelor's degree.


Occupational Outlook Handbook
For more information related to this field of study, see: Teachers -- Preschool, Kindergarten, Elementary, Middle and Secondary

A great online resource for French teachers and students

Resources for First-Time French Speakers
Tips geared towards travelers


  • Email Support

  • 1-800-GO-TO-XAP (1-800-468-6927)
    From outside the U.S., please call +1 (424) 750-3900


Powered by XAP

OCAP believes that financial literacy and understanding the financial aid process are critical aspects of college planning and student success. OCAP staff who work with students, parents, educators and community partners in the areas of personal finance education, state and federal financial aid, and student loan management do not provide financial, investment, legal, and/or tax advice. This website and all information provided is for general educational purposes only, and is not intended to be construed as financial, investment, legal, and/or tax advice.