Skip to main content

Making College More Affordable

Students with Disabilities

Students with disabilities who meet the academic qualifications for a college should apply for admission and, if needed, for financial aid. By law, a qualified student cannot be excluded from college solely because of a disability.

All public colleges and universities and many independent institutions provide services to students with disabilities. Benefits may include counseling, tutoring, readers, interpreters, note takers, special parking zones and loan of special equipment. You may also request that a class be relocated to a more accessible place on campus.

Your student budget, as calculated by the college, should include all educational expenses necessary to accommodate your disability. Be sure to work with your financial aid office if you apply, so they understand your particular circumstances.

For more information, contact the schools' disability services office, the Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services, or the national organizations serving your particular disability.

For information on benefits for service-disabled veterans, call the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 800.827.1000.

Visit the Find Scholarships page or use the Scholarship Search tool to find scholarship opportunities for students with disabilities.


FAFSA button OKP button


  • Email Support

  • 1-800-GO-TO-XAP (1-800-468-6927)
    From outside the U.S., please call +1 (424) 750-3900


Powered by XAP

OCAP believes that financial literacy and understanding the financial aid process are critical aspects of college planning and student success. OCAP staff who work with students, parents, educators and community partners in the areas of personal finance education, state and federal financial aid, and student loan management do not provide financial, investment, legal, and/or tax advice. This website and all information provided is for general educational purposes only, and is not intended to be construed as financial, investment, legal, and/or tax advice.